Family Support Service
We want to support people with Down’s syndrome to realise and fulfill their full potential.
We know that every child, young person and adult with Down’s syndrome is a unique individual, full of potential. We support families and carers of people with Down’s syndrome at whatever age and stage of life. We also have branches across Scotland, which run groups and activities for all ages and stages and are also a great way of meeting other parents.
Our Family Support Service provides an ‘all through life’ service to families all across Scotland. If you are a parent, grandparent, or carer of a child with Down’s syndrome, we are here to help. The Family Support Officer for your area is happy to provide information and support. We stay in touch with families through home visits, phone calls, texts, email and on social media.
Here are some of the areas we can provide information or support with:
- Developmental progress
- Questions or concerns regarding eating and sleeping
- Transition planning – this could be supporting you with choosing a nursery or school, planning for your child starting nursery or school, changing schools or simply transition support for yearly progression through school.
- Education: Nursery and School Placement, Deferment Decisions and Appeals
- Respite and social services
- Contacting Professionals & Other Services/Organisations and making referrals
- Behaviour concerns and positive behaviour support
- Health or medical questions or concerns such as mobility, hearing, vision, weight, sensory difficulties
- Speech and Communication
- Welfare Entitlements & Benefits including guidance on DLA care and mobility applications and appeals, Carer’s Allowance,
- Support at Meetings or Appointments
- Parent contact service – putting parents in touch with other parents to share experiences
As your child grows and becomes a teenager the support continues and we can provide information or support with:
- Puberty and Sexuality
- Secondary and Further Education
- Life Skills, developing and supporting independence
- Moving on after School
- Work Experience
- Planning for the Future/ Guardianship& Power of Attorney
However, our support is not limited to what is listed above, so if you need support or information for something that is not listed, please contact our Family Support Service team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.