Coronavirus – Information and Resources
Date: 16th March 2020
The information available on this page will be reviewed on a regular basis and any updates will be communicated to you all as they happen.
The Down Syndrome Medical Interest Group (DSMIG) have published a statement, along with some helpful links, on covid-19 on their website.
“There is no evidence at the moment of people who have Down’s syndrome being at particular risk of this coronavirus , though of course people who have Down’s syndrome may be more at risk from infections generally and respiratory infections in particular. However there is evidence to suggest it may pose a greater risk to those with other chronic health conditions, including pre-existing respiratory conditions, heart disease, diabetes, and immunodeficiency. A number of children and adults who have Down’s syndrome will fall within these higher risk groups.”
Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have any information with regards to the specific risks to children, young people and adults who have Down’s syndrome, apart from the fact that if they have an underlying medical condition e.g. diabetes, heart disease, leukaemia, or respiratory conditions then they are at an increased risk of having a more severe illness.
If people are concerned they should seek advice through NHS Inform. The main emphasis is on prevention by hand washing and avoiding large gatherings.
Down’s Syndrome Association have also published two articles from DSMIG, which are particularly relevant at the moment:
- Preventing infection in children with Down’s syndrome
by Dr Liz Marder, Counsultant Paediatrician, Community and Neurodisability, and Information lead / Web Editor, Down Syndrome Medical Interest Group,UK and Ireland.
- Recognition of Serious Illness in Children with Down’s syndrome
by Dr Liz Herrieven, Consultant in Paediatric Emergency Medicine (and mother to Amy, 13, who happens to have Down’s syndrome)
The poster that Dr Liz Herrieven refers to in her article can be downloaded here.
- NHS information – You can read the NHS’s page on coronavirus for health information and advice.
- Government’s Response – See the UK’s Government response to coronavirus on GOV.UK. You can read about the Scottish Governments Advice here.
- Down’s Syndrome Ireland Easy Read Guide – downsyndrome.ie/coronavirus-resource/
- Down’s Syndrome Association Easy Read Resource about Coronavirus- www.downs-syndrome.org.uk/news/corornavirus-information-resources/
- Photosymbols easy read posters;
- Two great videos to help with washing your hands;
- From the Action Group – en-gb.facebook.com/theactiongroup1/videos/843680059479749/
- From eQuality – https://vimeo.com/134952598